Weight-loss participants say exercise equals energy

| Posted in | Posted on

The YMCA of Greater Spartanburg's Activate Spartanburg campaign is nearly a month old, and Keith Dill and David McNeely are starting to see results. Dill and McNeely are co-workers at Campbell's Body Shop who signed up for Activate Spartanburg together.

Dill has lost 12 pounds so far; McNeely has lost 6 pounds. Both are walking more and cutting their portion sizes at meals.

"I can feel a difference in my energy level," McNeely said. "It makes me feel more energetic when I walk."

McNeely is walking a couple of days a week for 20 minutes. He said he's slowly adding more days and time to his routine because he has arthritis. He's also stretching to improve his flexibility and eating more fruits and vegetables and leaner meats, such as venison.

Dill said when he eats out, he'll bring some of his food home for the next day's lunch. Dill walks 1 1/2 miles every other day during lunch. His goal was to lose 40 pounds.

"I don't want to get to the point where I look sick," Dill said. "I'll go until I get back into a size 32 jeans."

Activate Spartanburg has 1,094 people registered to participate; those registered have lost 1,224 pounds. People can still register for the free, yearlong program by coming to the YMCA or through the program's Web site, www.activategreater spartanburg.org.

Health information is being shared through the Web site, and each month, there is a discussion on a health topic. This month's talk, "Prescription for a Healthy Heart," is at 7 tonight at the LRC Auditorium at Spartanburg Community College.

My Zimbio
Top Stories